By Creation Apps EdApps Edmodo EdTech Educreations elearning flipclass free apps free creation apps free education apps iBallz iPad iPadEd iPads in the Classroom mlearning Nearpod Prezi Technology in Education Toontastic / 0 Commentson September 11, 2012 /
1. Nearpod - Free (with subscription-based access) - Nearpod is a combination student/teacher app that allows you to turn your lessons into interactive multimedia presentations (think interactive powerpoint lessons in the student's hands) and is an amazing way to engage your students further while lecturing in class. Besides having a copy of the lesson presentation in their lap, Nearpod lets teachers include polls, multiple choice and extended response questions, pictures for students to draw on, and gives the option of immediate individual feedback from teachers for each students' work. Check out the video below to get a better idea of what this awesome app can do.
2. Prezi - Free - Prezi is a cloud-based presentation app that allows you to create visually engaging presentations on a single zoomable canvas. Prezi is a great tool to give over to your students to make an energetic presentation that forces them to think about the content their presenting in a new and energetic out-of-the-box way. There's tons of bell and whistles with Prezi that students can dive into and there's a definite "wow" factor for students viewing presentation in this new format. Take a look at the video below to get a feel for what a zoomable single canvas presentation can look like and click here if you want to see a Prezi on the app's use as an education tool.
3. Edmodo - Free - Meet students where they live by turning your classroom into an online social networking community. With Edmodo you can create a Facebook-like stream where you can post topics/questions/surveys for your class that your students can comment, respond, and vote on. You can also post assignments and due dates and have students submit their work (and access their grades) and post additional videos or resources for students who want to delve into a topic further.
4. Educreations - Free - Educreations is an easy to use video tutorial creator app that's great for making dynamic video lessons for teachers to share with their students. Instructors can make multipage lessons, import images and move or resize them while recording, and narrate the entire thing all along the way. Educreations hosts the videos on their own site (great if your school block YouTube) and you can share the videos with a select group of students (or embed them on your blog/Facebook/Twitter) or publicly with the Educreations community. This app is also great for having students create tutorial videos for each other!
5. Toontastic - Free for one background/theme- Turn your lesson or your students' presentations into a cartoon with this fun, free app. This app is a great way for students to summarize a novel they've just completed, show their understanding of a historical event they're studying, or share stories of their own creation.